Dave Cragg wrote:
<snip>

I get the same result as you in Wordpad. (And the same if saved as "untitled.rtf".)

It opens fine in Open Office, and Notepad displays the full rtf stuff (as expected).

This doesn't square with Alex's report. Alex, do you have Word installed? Like Chipp, I don't. Does a Word installation add resources that are used by WordPad?

No, I don't have Word installed (heaven forfend !). The Wordpad version I have is 5.1 build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service Pack 2 in case that might be the difference.

Just to be sure I've said it right :
Run the script as in Chipp's original email
Wordpad shows "hello world" - no formatting or anything, just plain looking text
OO 1.1 shows the same
Pure text editors (emacs, notepad, etc. ....) show
{\rtf\ansi
hello world
\par }

-- Alex.

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.1 - Release Date: 19/01/2005