I wrote:

[ slightly OT - this is a "design / algorithm" question rather than a Rev/xtalk one, really ]
[and it's a long, rambling email - so feel free to skip it]

You just can't get good staff these days :-)
My typist (that's me) missed a crucial sentence or two when transferring hand-written notes to email.

same ID.
compare 'last-events' :
same : everything is good, advance both current counters.
different - but the last-event machine is the same
take whichever entry has the later edit time (note - from same machine, so they can be compared),
and add to the other database
advance both counters
different - and different machines:

if my 'ID + last-event' is in his history database - his entry is later ACTION : add his entry to my database
OR
if his 'ID+last-event' is in my history database - my entry is later ACTION: add my entry to his database
if all data fields are identical - skip, no action needed.

there is no way to tell which is later - user needs to resolve differences, or postpone.
then advance both counters.

I should have just sent the code .....