The recent discussions about printing in Rev have come along at a propitious time for me. I have a data stack with about five fields per record, only a couple hundred records. The data eventually gets exported to a page layout program in RTF, but I was trying to make it easy for users to get check prints of various subsets of the data. I built a printing stack as recommended here and assembled the data into one tab delimited field. Using Chipp's and Jacque's tips, I have been able to make this work, more or less. I have learned a lot while doing this, and discovered things in the docs I didn't see before, like revPrintText.

Along the way I found revPrintReport. It makes reference to the "Report Builder" on the Tools menu, but it's not in my copy. (Rev v2.5 on Mac OS 10.3) Most of the See Also links are broken. Entering "report" in the filter field under Topics produces no hits. Only revPrintReport comes up in the Dictionary.

So I searched the list archives. (What a pitiful way to try to find any specific information, but I'll save that for another rant...) I found out that the Search-the-List stack, which is still referenced in RevNet, is no longer available. So I spent a little time reading the Google advanced search tips since I couldn't remember how to search just our discussion list. After I didn't find anything about restricting the search, I just tried "use-revolution report builder" and got a few hits. They were other people asking the same question, and answers that applied to the previous version of Rev. Sigh.

Finally, to be thorough, I went to the FAQ section of our docs and immediately found "How do I create a custom printed report?" This appears to be the latest up-to-date advice, which is essentially what I had already done: build it yourself with a special stack. There is no mention of a Report Builder.

So I conclude the answer to the subject line is, "The Report Builder no longer exists." Maybe this will save someone else the time of looking further, if they search the archives and happen to come across this message....

Lest you think I am a curmudgeon, the bottom line is that I was able to get done what I needed in Rev. I love working with Rev. I just want the docs to be accurate, and for us to find a better way of creating a Knowledge Base for using Rev than we have so far. Sorry for a rambling rant.

Jim Lyons