Alex:

Thanks *so* much for this... I really need it... if anyone gets their head around some fast algorithms for pulling up a short suggestion list before I do, please post it.

My context is that most words that the users will mis-spell are specialized (sanskrit, tamil, names of obscure places e.g. "Chennai" ). So, where an obvious mis-spelling like "mikl " the user will know how to change to "milk"-- for the specialized words, she will need to see a selection of choices...

I know we could go "crazy" with this and code for auto replacement of the mis-spelled word, etc. which adds a new layer of complexity, but for now I would be satisfied with manual user entry into a separate stack where they could enter 1, 2, 3 initial chars and get a list of words starting with those characters (99.9% of cases the first char is assured), a click down could put that on their clip board and they could paste it over the mis-spelled word. I would have our master all-publicaitions lexicon entries loaded-appended to that global variable gWords, to supplement the main word list.

Or, we *could* go nuts and do some repeat loop with a word offset and replace all instances of the mis-spelled word if it exists etc..

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]