Frank Leahy wrote:

After a lot of testing on Mac OS X, I've found that the problem I was having appears to be due to the way that Mac OS X does DNS lookups. Whether or not it's a RunRev bug as well is hard to tell, but I think it might be.

Here's some sample code I wrote. This code sends a "My5SecondTimeout" message to itself, opens a socket, makes an HTTP GET request, waits for the response, and closes the socket. (Note: I had to use this "My5SecondTimeout" message because setting the socketTimeoutInterval doesn't seem to work).

When you run this script and you're not connected to the internet here's what happens:

1) If I open the socket with an ip address, e.g. 64.125.128.80, my 5 second timer will fire, and I can close the socket and exit from the routine.

2) If I open the socket with a domain address, e.g. www.webphotospro.com, Mac OS X does a DNS lookup, puts up the rainbow rotating color cursor, and hangs until the DNS lookup fails. On my machine this takes 60 seconds (apparently it's dependent on how many dns servers you have listed).

I'm guessing this is a RunRev bug, but I can't be sure. Basically RunRev hangs for 60 seconds while the DNS lookup takes place during the "open socket" call -- it doesn't send a socket timeout, and it doesn't the "My5SecondTimeout" message either.

Can confirm this?

Yes.

you may have missed the email I sent earlier in this thread, re bug 2117 Engine blocks on DNS query

Take a look at that bug report for more details. You can check for dnsservers - which will prevent the problem occurring in most cases, but there are still some cases where it will fail.

-- Alex.