On Feb 8, 2005, at 5:38 AM, Richard Miller wrote:

I can now post a simple, effective, secure solution to processing a credit card through Rev.

Thanks for the detailed how-to.

From the CardPresent documentation I get the impression that the client needs to have a certificate. Assuming I understand your example correctly, it does not. That is OK, I think; merchant authentication in CP is based on the shared secret in x_tran_key. The Revolution documentation says that the client will be able to submit a certificate only in the future, so it is good news that a method is available that does not need it.

I wonder if there is a way to improve security in this. This uses the Comodo CA root certificate. I would guess that there are many certificates signed by Comodo. An owner of a signed certificate might be able to exploit the Revolution SSL name-matching vulnerability (bugzilla 2545). Perhaps security might be improved if you could use a more specific root, perhaps one directly from authorize.net.

I noticed that CP response verification uses MD5, which Revolution can do if it is desired.

Dar