MisterX wrote:

Mark,

I did say I already wrote a function to extract these
but is there no split combination that does this without
a slow loop?

Here's the two functions I used

function MergeColumns
end MergeColumns

I'm still trying to understand just what that one does (in all cases) so I'll start with the simpler one.

function ExtractItems tabl,column,adelimiter
if adelimiter is not empty then
set the itemdelimiter to adelimiter
end if
local a
put "" into a
local x=1
repeat for each line L in tabl
put (item column of l) into line x of a
add 1 to x
end repeat
return a
end ExtractItems

x is used only to count the number of lines,and changed only when a new line is added the end - so just use "put after"

function ExtractItems tabl,column,adelimiter
 local a

if adelimiter is not empty then
set the itemdelimiter to adelimiter
end if
repeat for each line L in tabl
put (item column of L) & cr after a
end repeat
delete the last char of a return a
end ExtractItems

Of which the MergeColumn could use lots of optimizing ;)
But they're slow functions compared to split or combine.

I can't see a way to use split/combine (except for the special case of first col).