Jerry,

I am not sure what it is exactly that you are asking. But have you looked in the documentation under drag?
You said: no handlers in the other controls on the card will get triggered (right?),
But: I think that you can trap and act upon a few things while doing a drag:
dragDrop - Sent to the object where data was dropped when a drag and drop finishes.
dragEnd - Sent to the object a drag and drop started from, when the data is dropped.
dragEnter - Sent when the mouse pointer moves into an object during a drag and drop.
dragLeave - Sent when the mouse pointer moves out of an object during a drag and drop.
dragMove - Sent when the user moves the mouse during a drag and drop.
dragSource - Returns the long ID of the object that dragged data was dragged from.
dragDestination - Returns the long ID of the object that dragged data was dropped on.
dragData - Returns the long ID of the object that dragged data was dropped on.

I would think that you could combine a custom property in your "drop zone" item and during a drag do a test as to what is being dragged and wether it is appropriate to drop it or not and then act upon that.

HTH

Tom