True, but meanwhile...

Have you considered creating a substack and placing the images on one or more cards of the substack? If you name the images something original (like "Image") and place each one on a separate card, you can use the card names to distinguish them quickly:

put image "Image" of card "Orange Toothpaste" of stack "Images" into image "Displayed Image"

If you really want to keep the images in separate files for whatever reason, you might consider obscuring the data (and the filenames perhaps); you can obscure the data somewhat by doing something like:

put compress(base64encode(compress(URL "file:/MyDisk/srcFile.jpg"))) into URL "file:/Target/i10a1055a.if3"

or whatever...

then to get it back, of course:

put decompress(base64decode(decompress(URL "file:/Target/i10a1055a.if3"))) into image "Displayed Image"