I suspect the answer to how to do all of this (other than whatIWantNotWhatISaid, which would be way cool, Jeanne!) lies in the OSA - Open Scripting Architecture. You can get a basic view of this at http://tinyurl.com/64hmu (I TinyURLed it because the true URL is 127 characters long). As far as I know, this is an Apple-only technology but something compatible may have been developed on Windows.