On Apr 9, 2005, at 4:12 PM, Peter Armstrong wrote:

Thanks Trevor, the external edit in BBEdit seems to
work nicely!  At last I can relax and get down to
understanding Rev and not worry about my code.  An
excellent addition (Transcript terms) to BBEdit.

You might want to look at using BBEdit Glossaries. You can create mouseUp, mouseDown handlers, if/then, repeat loops, etc. or just a generic glossary entry which creates a function or command from the selected word. This saves a lot of typing.

Thanks Alex (?) at Mindlube for the great MLXEditor,
seems to be the conduit necessary between Rev and the
outside world. Great!  Nice and easy, works perfectly
as far as I can tell.  Maybe Rev should build
something like this in to the IDE?

It would be nice if Rev added support for 3rd party editors in the future as part of the package but for now Alex has a plugin that does a great job. I use BBEdit for just about everything I do and so I've become proficient with the BBEdit way of doing things. Not having to switch between different editors makes me much more efficient since I'm not having to switch modes if you will. I also like to command tab between my applications in Rev and my scripts in BBEdit. I think it keeps things a little less cluttered. I only open up the Rev editor when I need to debug (hold down the shift key while opening a script to by-pass BBEdit and open the script in Rev).

Is there a way to turn OFF storing the custom property
formatted script?  Surely this bloats out the stack
considerably and from what I can gather (and guess by
my loss of data) may have other issues... just to make
the scripts look pretty (pretty wild if you turn on
default script colorization!).  I’d opt for the plain
Jane version if it saved all the other issues.  BTW
thanks Trevor, script colorization in BBEdit works
perfectly and is actually useful.

If you turn off script colorization and formatting and don't edit your scripts in Rev then I don't think the script gets stored by Rev since you are opening and editing in BBEdit. I could be wrong about this though. I use Chipp's plugins and I don't think my stacks ever have script bloat when using altClean.

Rev is an excellent development tool. It has quirks and that can sometimes be a hassle, but I feel that I have been the most productive I've ever been using Rev. It really puts a lot of power in your hands and for that reason I'm willing to deal with the quirks.