also check San Francisco (sfo) and Oakland (oak) for flights, San Jose can be very expensive to fly into. San Francisco and Oakland are about 2 hrs from monterey by car w/o traffic and about 3 hours with traffic at commute times. San Jose is about 70 minutes w/o traffic to monterey. Also Jet Blue flys into Oakland and can have some nice fares. You can also get connecting flights into monterey (United and a few smaller carriers), but they are usually pretty pricey and the car rentals can be high in monterey if its a popular weekend (they also don't have most of the more budget rental car companies in the monterey area).

Unfortunately, there is not good/convenient public transportation from San Francisco or San Jose areas down to monterey. Train is very hard to do and doesn't get you right to monterey (actually Amtrak busses most folks from sf to monterey) and there is some bus service. There fairly good bus service around the central area of monterey tourist stuff, but if you want to get out and around to see nature in the area, a car is a good thing to have. Parking is not a large problem around the monterey area (just near tourist attractions on the weekend, but not horrible).

As Dan has said there is gobs of stuff to do in the monterey area and plenty to keep the family happy while you are in sessions too. The aquarium itself is almost too much for one day in itself. The monterey area has a lot to offer for a small place.

Also when you visit the aquarium, check out the Deep Link exhibit in the auditorium where they present the live deep sea video from the ROVs in the bay, its Metacard driven! After the presentations they let folks go down to the podium and usually will show off the system. There's also a very simple exhibit on climate and climate change in the Pacific Grove Natural History Museum that is metacard driven.

you might wonder why i peep in on this... i grew up in monterey, have worked/lived there off and on, and my folks still live there. I go back often and deal with the easiest/cheapest ways of getting there! yell if you have questions about the area and i can probably pass on ideas if you have something special you want to do.

Wish I could attend, but not sure if its going to work out in the schedule. Hopefully one of my projects will get me out there and i can attend!

cheers,

jeff

Jeffrey Reynolds
6620 Michaels Dr