Eric,
I tried your script for a while and it will need a bit more work to work for me. Thank you though.

As far as the 'good ergonomics' , what I am trying to do in Rev works in our Director project and also works in our pda prototype. You see, on a PDA you don't have a mouseHover type of operation but instead you must place a pen on the screen in a mouseDown situation and then move the pen around in that state. If you stay for a time in one spot then a popup will show. That is normal behavior for PDAs. I think it would also be normal for touch screens.

What I am doing is an offset of that concept and actually works quite well in user interface parameters. We are using a palette of 18 buttons that when you move the pen around in a penDown (simulated on the Mac as a mouseDown) that the buttons will highlight so you know you are actually over that button and if it is what you want then you release the pen - executing a penUp (simulated as a mouseUp). If it is not what you want then you move on to either another button or out of our palette and release the penUp(mouseUp) in another area. We also have a field in our palette that will display the name of the button when in the penDown (mouseDown) state within the bonds of our palette and will clear that text when leaving that button.

In the end due to the operation of PDAs this behavior is intuitive and expected and we just take it a step further by giving feedback while the user is in our palette.

Currently the problem I have with my scripts and the one you offer is that I can't find a way to not allow the mouseDown to send messages to the original control when I have moved on to another control. Your solution does send a message to the control we have moved over BUT it also sends a message back to the original control as well. It seems Rev wants to stick to this in at least five different messages including the mouseMove message IF the mouseDown was pressed and is still down.

Thanks again

Tom