Todd Higgins wrote:
On Apr 25, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Kurt Kaufman wrote:

Anyone know if Mac 10.4's "Automator" is a collection of customizable pre-fab Applescripts? As the author of a few Rev utilities that use Applescript, I'm wondering if Applescript will continue as before?
Applescript will continue on strong as ever. Automator is just a tool that will help people harness the power of Applescript without having to learn how to program. Or so the marketing speak goes. ; > )

From the session I attended at WWDC last year on Automator, it appears to be merely a point-and-click way to write AppleScript, just like interface for making scripts that you can use with Flash in leiu of directly typing, or the point-and-click scripting found in FileMaker Pro for years (and a bit like an old flow-chart GUI for scripting graphics apps in UNIX called, if memory serves, AVS, with its structured inputs and outputs).

Apple's implementation is in some ways more graceful, but the central concept of making a point-and-click UI alternative for scripting isn't new.

Just the same, once the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field is turned up to full volume at Tiger's release, we can expect the lay and even trade press to momentarily forget the history of scripting environments and declare that they've seen God.

;)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation