On Apr 30, 2005, at 7:31 AM, Derek Bump wrote:

> "it is more of scripting language that a real programming language ­ which
> is awesome for the non-technical developers like me and you, but is not a
> true object oriented application language which is being taught in
> universities."

I've made a career study of scripting languages. Guys like Prof. John Ousterhout, who invented the scripting language Tcl and who can be presumed to know a good deal about the subject, have typically described the difference between a scripting language and a programming language as being one of intent. A scripting language, by their (and my) understanding is a language primarily intended to glue together processes and applications that would otherwise not be able to interact with one another. A programming language may be able to do some or all of that as well, but is more typically intended for the creation of independent programs.

AppleScript is, IMNSHO, a classic example of that. You *can* write quasi-standalone applications in AppleScript but it's painful. But ask AppleScript to get data from file A, send it to Application B, lanch Application C and print something in a seamless process, and it fairly shines.

People who say things like the above are typically only slightly informed (and you know what they say about a little knowledge and danger....) and tend to confuse the issue of scripting vs. programming languages with that of interpreted vs. compiled languages. I used to get a real kick out of demonstrating Smalltalk apps and having people ask me, "How does that thing run so fast?" and then replying nonchalantly, "Oh, that's because it's interpreted." Heads nodded sagely.