No, I'm not locking the screen. This only happens on Windows. I put a beep at the end of the preOpenCard and a beep at the beginning of openCard and there is a 1-2 second delay between the beeps.

Not visual effects are involved (that I'm aware of). The page I'm going to just has several graphics on it.