Hello all you Linux/Unix gurus out there,

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me a few things about where such systems put various types of files.

Where so you store preferences? I see that the specialFolderPath() function is Windows & Mac only, so how would I know where to store preferences on a Linux system?

Where should an application be installed? And what if I want the application to be available to a particular user only e.g. on my Mac OS X system, I have /Applications for apps that everyone can use and /Users/sarah/Applications for apps that only I can use. The second is better if I need to write to the application folder as the user has write access to that folder even if not an admin user (at least I think that is correct).

TIA,
Sarah