Dan Shafer wrote:
On another thread, jbv (JB) wrote about using Rev as a CGI engine on Linux as a matter of regular course.

I'm curious. I've been laying out a design for an INternet-based app and figuring I'd have to use Python (which is OK because I love it but in some ways it may be overkill for this project) because of my understanding that a Rev CGI can't handle even modest volumes of traffic. This is apparently because a separate instance of the CGI is launched for each HTTP request received.

True or myth?

It's true on all non-Mac servers (Macs can use Apple events), but how is this different from Perl or Python?

I know that in recent years there's an option in Apache to keep Perl resident in memory, but behaviorally it still acts as a separate instance.

If there isn't commonly the same sort of option for Python, then my hunch is that the resource demand would be measured by a combination of engine size (load time) and engine efficiency, and may not differ dramatically from the Rev engine. Jacque recalls Scott Raney once noting that when called as a CGI, the "faceless" engine does a lot less work at startup and loads almost instantaneously, even faster than a scriptless standalone.

Do I misunderstand something about CGI and/or Python?

Anyone have any hard comparison data about relative efficiencies between Rev and Python?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation