Chris Sheffield wrote:
>>> I know this is totally off-topic, but as I'm looking for a good
>>> mail  client to read this user list, I thought I'd ask here.  So
>>> what's a  good one?  I've been using Apple Mail, but the fact that
>>> it doesn't  keep track of the message threads very well is really
>>> starting to  annoy me.  So I'd like to play with something else.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> I love Thunderbird --  secure, flexible, standards-based, regularly
>> updated, and free:
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>
>
> That's kind of what I was thinking of trying.  Do you know if
> Thunderbird will import all my account information from Mail (my
> messages too would be nice)?

Hard to say. After having been burned by Apple's email discontinuations in the past (iWorld and later the Emailer bundle) I don't trust them with anything as critical to me as email. I need longevity more than I need pre-installation. :)

So without the benefit of having used Mail, I can only report what I hear: older versions are said to have used the standard MDB format for the mail database, though this is said to have been abandoned with Tiger. So if you're still pre-Tiger it may work well, and there may also be AppleScripts and/or other solutions as well.

Given the number of Mac folks who use Thunderbird, I'd be surprised if their forum didn't turn up an instant solution.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation