Not forgetting, Brian, just discounting. :-D

Fair enough. For me, that was the only reason to use CompileIt. Speed of ordinary scripts felt like something I wanted to deal with algorithmically rather than by compiling. After all, compiling the same algorithm was probably going to have less impact than my next processor upgrade! I'm sure there were instances where it was useful, but for me, it was all about writing externals without having to learn C (which I've long since done, but alas...)

I avoided that stuff like the plague.

Guess I'm a bit of an xtalk purist (or some would say bigot). Transcript isn't going to be THE solution/language for all problems. Every time we try to glue something onto it to solve a problem it wasn't intended to solve, we risk making the stuff it does do easily and well harder.

I agree.

Transcript/Rev aren't a general-purpose environment. There's a whole class of apps for which they are ideally suited. There are also many for which it's not the right tool. I'm in favor of continuing to make it do what it does do better and better.

I suspect you are, too, so I'm not being contrary here, just clarifying.

I actually do feel the same way. For me, it's mostly a moot point. I write externals in C when I need them, and if I need a lot of them (or heck, more than 1 of them in a project) then I consider other tools.

I believe I'm mostly speaking for others (dangerous, I know!) who have expressed a lot of interest in native access to OS routines. I wouldn't mind seeing a new CompileIt!, just because it would be a cool toy and handy for some - but I wouldn't personally rank it very high on the cost vs. benefit scale.

I'm not sure where I would fall if I didn't write externals already, though.

- Brian