Richard Gaskin wrote:

Derek Bump wrote:

If one who knows C and could figure out some sort of Transcript wrapper, then it would be possible. There are many freeware and public domain compilers out there, but finding one that successfully compiles DLLs for Revolution is seemingly difficult. I've been trying for a few months now, but with my limited knowledge of C I end up running into errors.

I am working on this project, but the *confusing* Externals SDK doesn't help.

What aspects have you found confusing?

This is only a start ....

- Doesn't say which compilers should work (tells me some that won't - but doesn't say which ones will - and in particular, doesn't say which free ones will :-)

(It kind of implies that many of them will, maybe even most of them - but a short list of a few that are expected to work would eliminate that as a possible explanation for troubles run into)

- Includes a number of examples which are fragments of C code, without any comments describing the interface being provided, and without showing the corresponding Transcript

- Include samples like XSetArray which is a function using the "built-in" SetArray - but its parameters are never explained, and still something of a mystery.

- It doesn't include a "tiny, simple" example; I'd like to see a very simple example - e.g. return the string "hello program" - in a separate directory. Not doing OS specific "GetComputerName", not calling QT, not .... just a very, very simple example. With a correspondingly simple Rev stack, and step-by-step instructions (not as detailed as I sent to this list, but some kind of "here's the first thing to do" instructions). - it intermingles things which are (apart from exceptional cases) "fixed" with things which are your own, without distinguishing clearly - e.g. "There are two header files you'll need to #include, XCmdGlue.h and external.h. ..." But there is no "external.h" file included in the distribution - it means the header file for your code, which will be anything but "external.h"

In fact, the distribution includes article.c and article.h - what should happen is that article.c should #include the article.h - but it doesn't, it #includes external.h - which is non-existent, so you're guaranteed a compile failure at step 1. Not likely to inspire confidence.

- it uses examples where the C functions are named with leading underscores - when prepended underscores was described above as (one of ) the reason(s) why the Borland compiler won't work

- it includes extra functions that aren't referenced or used (as far as I can tell). e.g. XGetVar and XGetArray are in convolve_and_life.c - but I can't find anywhere they're used.

I wonder if a Rev tool set up for writing C, generating the make file, and running GCC would address a lot of this with very little effort....