Not wishing to be tedious -- Is there consensus that "Find and Replace" in version 2.6.x is as fast as the CPU allows? In other words, as fast as the "find" command, on the same search in the same stack?

Well it's different. The "find" command goes to the next instance only, while "Find & Replace" lists all the occurrences of the find string. So which you use depends on your needs at the time.

The speed of the search depends on how much you want to search. Sometimes I want to search all the stack files in a particular folder and that can take 10 seconds or so. Searching a single card stack is almost instantaneous. Searching a stack with lots of cards takes several seconds.

I'm reluctant to download 2.6 and try it, having read reports of 2.5.1 stacks that don't work right after running on 2.6. Maybe that's all fixed now. Not sure. So many topics every day. I'm still cautious about premature upgrades.

I have had no problems upgrading to 2.6. Initially there was a bug with the answer command which caused script problems, but that was fixed in 2.6.1. The file structure has not changed, so the usual advice for upgrades applies. Backup your stacks before opening them in the new version and you can always revert to the old version if you find a problem.

HTH,
Sarah