At 9:34 AM -0700 7/15/2005, Mark Swindell wrote:
It's a "nuance" or a "design flaw", depending on how charitable you're feeling. The replace command treats its parameters as pure text, so if you do something like

  replace "foo" with "bar" in field "Stuff"

you'll lose all formatting in the field. Replace seems to make a copy of the target text, then do the replace operation, and then swap the target text back into the field.

It's a pretty nasty nuance, then.  How's that?  :)

Sounds about right. ;-)

It renders the find and replace function useless for formatted text.
And it did come as a shock, as it almost destroyed hours of work, because it can't be undone. (No one had ever mentioned that I should back up my stacks regularly.) This seems like a pretty big thing that ought to be addressed by the engineering corps up in Edinborough, no?

Agreed. I thought there was a report on the replace command's behavior, but I wasn't able to find it, so I've bugzillad this as 3008 and 3009.
--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.jaedworks.com