Mark:

I run my Windows XP box (and ran my Windows 2000 box) for 1-2 weeks at a time. Eventually, something becomes unstable, and I have to re-boot, but often I only have to re-bot because I install a patch. I think your pessimism about Windows (at least in this regard) is a bit excessive.

:)

Jon

Mark Wieder wrote:

Seamus-

Tuesday, July 12, 2005, 9:57:10 AM, you wrote:

SB> Can anybody comment on the stability of a runrev app (connected through
SB> ODBC to SQL Server)  running on a linux/windows box for many many days
SB> without rebooting? Are memory leaks a problem? I am looking into SB> developing something for a client which could potential be left running
SB> for a considerable number of days.

I would *never* run a windows box for several days without rebooting.
Windows needs to be rebooted regularly in order to rebuild its driver
database, maintain the registry, etc. That's part of why it takes so
long to boot up. If you prevent this from taking place the system can
get seriously messed up.