Jim,

Here is my submission that ran in 70 milliseconds on my 5 1/2 year old G4 450 MHz tower:

  set cursor to watch
  put the milliseconds into t
  put fld "ChemSymbols" into c
  put fld "dictionary" into d
  repeat for each line L in d
    if c contains char 1 to 2 of L and c contains char 3 to 4 of L\
    and c contains char 5 to 6 of L and c contains char 7 to 8 of L\
    and c contains char 9 to 10 of L then
      put L & CR after o
    end if
  end repeat
  put the milliseconds -t into t
  put o into fld "Output"
  put "time=" & t && "msecs" after fld "Output"

Cheers,
Glenn