Or you (the developer) can simply open Get Info on the stack file and change the Open With there, before distributing the stack. Either way, you produce a stack which can be double-clicked to run under the Player.

The problem comes when you -- or rather your not-in-the-know user -- double-click the Player app. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to do, so you can't blame users for doing it. But it doesn't work. That's the issue, at least for me.

Charles