On Aug 20, 2005, at 2:18 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Ken Ray wrote:

Well, actually it's not as common to do that in Windows apps as in Mac -
they usually don't have "Preferences" under the Edit menu; they have
"Options" under the Tools menu, or if it does have "Preferences", it's not
under the Edit menu (I've seen it under Configure, or File, etc.).

And here we enter the Windows World of "Sometimes":

Amen. I certainly would not look to Windows for how to handle preference items as there is NO consistency not even within Microsoft's products. That said, I have been convinced by the discussion here that I should not be disabling the Edit menu in its entirety but rather should disable the individual items. I am glad this problem was pointed out as it is making me fix my app.

That said as well, I still think the way Rev is handling the Preference item, i.e. disabling it even though it has been moved on a Mac OS X system, is a bug. I understand how it occurs but the special handling that moves the menu item should also handle enabling the item as well.

Spence