Long long ago I looked at a dBase file and it looked like tab delimited text....have you checked in a text editor?

Since you were talking about dBase and Paradox, I assumed you meant
Windoze...

In that case, the dBase file format is *very* well defined and
documented. Why not just treat the dbf files as binary files, read
them into memory, and start stuffing them into arrays and such? Do you
actually need to keep them in dbf format for use by other programs?

--
-Mark Wieder