Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Here's what I've found:

1) If you use the SystemWindow property, then the Rev window stays on top at all times, it doesn't just pop to the top - this was too much for my particular purpose on this occasion.

2) Using AppleScript, you can tell an application such as FileMaker Pro to hide itself:

  tell application "Finder"
        set visible of application process "FileMaker" to false
  end tell

3) Using AppleScript, you can tell an application to activate itself and come to the top at this moment (but not permanently):

  tell application "MyApp"
        activate
  end tell

I found the best result was obtained by using both solutions 2) and 3) above, i.e. tell FileMaker Pro to hide itself and then tell my Rev app to pop to the top so it came in front of any open Finder windows. If I only hide FMPro, then I find my Rev app can be behind Finder windows. If I only bring my app to the top, there's a chance that the FMPro windows can still appear in front!

Thanks again.

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK