Thanks, Mark, but that's a no-go. The Active Document Elements have to be marked manually in the text, which would be as much work as adding bookmarks manually in the PDF.

This is an intriguing software gap. I'm trying to see it as an opportunity rather than as a huge annoyance. I'm not succeeding, mind you, but I am trying!