Hi Stephen,

On Sep 25, 2005, at 2:41 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Sound converter? Isn't that REALLY old?

Old and moldy, I guess. It worked for what I wanted eventually. I think a WAV should be a WAV, but some, which claim to be that I have tried to D/L from the web, must not be, because they fail to open.

 How about Bababatch?

Costs 400 bucks! (USD). There's no way I can justify that on my budget. I'd pay up to a hundred, but their software pricing is too rich for my blood.

 How about In and out of PRO TOOLS, MOTU. LOGIC or some modern DAW
software?

Well, sure, but even LOGIC will fail to open a WAV once in awhile. I don't use ProTools.

I'd blame the tools you were using before I'd blame the format in
general, especially if they're older than 3 years.

Heck, all I own is older than 3 years ;-) Well, maybe not _everything_. But you're probably right about that.

 I agree that
probably among the zillion PC based DAWs there might be some file
hacks,  but the big guys like Digidesign and the Broadcast folks not
to mention the AES won't let that happen.

Well, here it is: WAV files are basically Micro$oft's version of AIFF. It's a good thing AIFF files still work, because my experience is that they are more reliable for playback than anything else there is. It's what all commercial audio CD's use. Bigger than the Library of Congress will ever be, but they, too, use AIFF files for final archiving AFAIK (although they use WAV in other parts of the system, they have to if they want to preserve things previously saved to WAV files).

It's true, as a broadcast (and also the internet, which is also actually a broadcast system) digital media, it's prolific.

But if you are trying to convince me that WAV is more reliable than AIFF, well, I don't think so.

All the best,
Ken N.