Troy Rollins wrote:

On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:01 AM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

Doesn't it seem silly that you have to buy all those add-ons just to run your machine?

I don't. I have 10 Macs.

But, if you are using Windows, you need all that stuff.  ;-)

And since half of whatever's installed will need to be updated online, you'll need to waive chicken entrails or do whatever religious voodoo makes you comfortable while you download the updates, because during that time there are millions of zombie machines all over the world trying the last set of exploits on random IPs, and yours could be next.

Many Windows machines are infected within minutes of turning on their Internet connection.

Good anti-malware software, frequently updated, can clean up an infected machine, if it's not grossly infected. But ya gotta pay for it. I pay my annual subscription to Norton Internet Utilities, just so I can use my XP machine on the internet occasionally.

Tim