Hi Jonathan,

That particular site does indeed allow both style sheet control and an
easy download of all the page material in one shot.

Jonathan... I believe this is more complex than this. See the excellent points made by David.

What is that this wiki can bring as benefits that this mailing list doesn't? Easy answer: searching facilities. Relevant contexts (the very very precious "See also" section). But this is already provided for in the revdoc that comes in your rev package.

I really believe that getting people to use it would not be too difficult. It would become a natural process - one that extends from discussions on this list.

Not sure this is true. What is the major hurdle for the success of this wiki? Emails arrive in the mailbox. To answer them, you click reply, type a bit of text, and you are done.

What would be the motivation to open a browser window, connect to the wiki, login, add a bit of text, go back to the email and reply "your answer is now on the revdocs website".

The very honest answer I can give for myself: no motivation **at all**. I may contribute to your wiki for a week or two (not even sure about that), but after that, I will just stop doing it. And I am a person keen to help... so what to expect from the ones who are even less than me?!

So, if we want out own domain name - that would not be the site.

I really don't want to dampen your enthusiasm. On the contrary, I am very much interested in your proposal to help. But hosting is not how you can help best. Your wiki, my wiki, another wiki, this is not important. With admin access, you can help take care of this wherever it is, so can I, so can Tim and Dennis (great... in terms of numbers, this is should be enough to get it off the ground). A domain name can be moved from one server to another. With php, mysql, metadata, the content of a wiki can easily be moved from one server to another.

As long as we don't have an adequate infrastructure, putting doc on the wiki is very dangerous because this defacto gets you create a service... this defacto gives you the full responsibility for the good running, present and future of this service. Not that I suggest you made an error, Jonathan. That was great... thanks for taking the time... that got us start moving. But take care... Only go for this kind of initiative when the following scenario is ok for you (time, energy, moral): nobody helps. Do such things ready to accept any help that comes... but don't create something counting on help because it seems to you so obvious that other should join and help.... when nobody has taken any firm engagement to help.

Sure, I have snippets and many useful resources on my wiki... But I haven't created this as a service for the community. I have created something that is intended to be useful for the community... but also serving some other purposes of mine. I created this to learn, to test ideas, to create a demand, to experiment, to organize my own notes and keep them at hand wherever I am, to see what was possible, what was needed to work well, to evaluate the interest (number of hits on the page), to analyse contexts in which people contribute. Because of this, I expect nothing in return of the time and money I put in this. To have somebody contribute in the wiki or send me a nice email makes my day... they are superb bonus... but days without any contribution don't have any adverse effect on my moral.

But it's not the same at all for the revdoc wiki project. If it gets created it must be to serve as service for the community and not ego boosting (I speak for me there) or some other personal purpose . There shouldn't be ***any*** benefit for the persons who run this other than the benefits that all other users take from this (increased productivity). Because of this, we really need to set up a structure in which the costs for the individuals who give a hand are minimized. Medium (up to 1h a day) to high (2-3 hours a day) maintenance costs (in terms of time and difficulty) would only be acceptable if we had somebody *paid* to take care of the maintenance (actually, the main management team at wikipedia is paid, they get a lot of sponsors money). This won't happen. Revolution is a very small company which focuses its limited resources on what's more important: providing a great software. This community is too small to have donations pay for somebody doing maintenance.

We haven't that yet... as long as we don't have it, I would discourage any person to put the doc on an editable wiki unless they are prepared to do all the job of contribution and maintenance job themselves in the event nobody gets to help. I am not ready to do that (do all the job without any help) . What I am ready to do is help set up a structure which maximizes the chances to have others help. To maximize the chances of having members actively contribute, we have to minimize the costs of contributing. So, we need a way to fetch information directly from the mailing list content. As David mentioned, we also need a way for the information to be directly updated from within the environment in which you do programming: revolution.

I personally believe that we should avoid to put too much effort in the actual commenting of code before we have identified a solution where maintenance is as automatized, as reliable and as system independent (doc viewed within revolution, within the scripter scrapbook, on the web) as possible. I really believe we should put some effort on helping to set up such a solution.

Marielle

Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage http://homepages.lexicall.org/mlange/
Easy access to lexical databases                    http://lexicall.org
Supporting Education Technologists http:// revolution.lexicall.org