Chipp Walters wrote:

Richard Gaskin wrote:

The only downside to self-contained apps is that there's no file-type association present in the host system's registry, so documents must be opened from within the app rather than double-clicked. But this factor is independent of any method used to determine what type of drive it's one; it's just an inherent part of being a portable app.

With ButtonGadget having to 'register' it's filetype, I'm aware of this issue on the PC.

Here's how I've worked around it. Everytime BG launches, it checks the registry to make sure it's registered correctly (filepaths, filetypes, icons, etc..).

I do this on every launch instead of during installation and it takes only a second. Not sure how this works on Macs.

It's automatic on Macs, just part of what the Finder does when it encounters an app on any mounted volume.

With Rev's ability to read and write the Windows directory, it would be simple enough to make the registry entries for the file type association. But for true portability this should not happen when running from a removable drive, the goal being zero-footprint when the drive is removed.

That's the one weak link in the proposed solution: if we're installed on the hard drive and can write to our app's own folder, how can we know whether we should write a registry entry?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal