Chipp Walters wrote:

Richard Gaskin wrote:

And if we do ignore that for portable apps, assuming we'd like to ship a single app for both portable and installed use, how can we know we're running installed so that we could write the file association entry to the registry as customers would expect for a hard-drive-installed app?

And we're back to the original question :-)
"I'd like to be able to determine if an app is running from a removable drive."

Only somewhat. Aside from the ability to launch the app by double-clicking a file, every other aspect of universal portability seems to be pretty simple with Rev.

Of course, Windows users are IMO more likely to launch the app first, then the doc.

We can hope so, but most of my apps support documents and my customers would kill me if I removed that option.

Alternatively, I could safely provide that for 95% of my customers by writing the reg entry only when the boot volume is the same as the volume the app is running on.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal