Dan Shafer wrote:
The fact that one such effort failed -- or even that a bunch of such efforts failed -- is irrelevant in the face of the new market realities. Particularly the ad supported software model is one that I think has a tremendous amount of potential to be disruptive.

I hope 'ad supported software model' doesn't go the way of the last internet version of 'ad supported software model'! As you recall, the last ad based models showed up at the beginning of the WWW, and was instantly proclaimed the next great business model. Many companies lost their shirts believing this. Now, internet advertising is seen as something 'no so great' at best, and 'bothersome spyware' at worst.

-Chipp