Geoff Canyon wrote:

Bother -- it happened again. First we had repeat for each turning up faster than the filter command. Now I've done a test on the following, and it looks like the split command takes not quite twice as long as repeat for each (when repeat for each is handled the following way).

function deleteDupes pList -- does _not_ retain sort order
  repeat for each line L in pList
    put 1 into temp[L]
  end repeat
  return the keys of temp
end deleteDupes

Wow. That's good to know. Who woulda thunk? Our of curiosity, how long is "twice as long"? Is it minimal, or something we have to think about for long lists?

I have a theory: the "filter" command has to load some kind of library or something, so it takes longer. That doesn't explain "split" though.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]