Answering myself:
It turned out there was an issue with the fileName property of the player. I simply wasn't setting it right. Now it works at least on the Virtual PC. I have to wait until Monday to find out about XP + Media Player.

Thomas

I have an educational stack that plays mp3 sound files. I inserted a player and set the source property to the sound file. Everything is fine on my Mac OS X and OS 9 computers, but on two different Windows systems (XP with Windows Media Player installed and a "Virtual PC" with W 98 and Quicktime 5) no player appears and two buttons scripted to "start player …" and "stop player …" have no effect. (They work on the Macs.)