All,
What a fascinating discussion, and a perfect, if ironic, example of why the question being debated has been resolved (in favour of one list) in practise.

For the record, I agree with Dan (which happens less often than I routinely think it should given I own most of his books, but I digress). One feature of the discussion that has fascinated me most (and should have led me to put [OT] in the Subject, but again, I digress, and, at any rate, this subject line is by definition OT) is the confusion between freedoms and rights. We (well most of us, anyway, given our current countries of residence) are *free* to think and espouse any damn thing we want, but in none of these countries do we have a *right* to do so. The distinction is this: rights entail commitments and obligations on the state and the citizens of that state to *ensure* those rights. So, a state (and its citizens) are obligated by law to ensure your rights to, for example, privacy, property, personhood, and so on. Freedoms are different. You are free to exercise these ``free'' acts, but the state (and its citizens) are not obligated in any way to ensure that you can do so. They cannot, as a rule, actively prevent such action, but, again, are not required, either, to facilitate them. Free speech is one such freedom. Free thought is another. You are free to think any damn fool thing you can mentally entertain, but there is no incumbent obligation on the state, the citizens of that state, the internet, and the citizens of the internet, or, the point and most important for current purposes, use-revolution@lists.runrev.com to provide a vehicle for you to express those thoughts. It (and we) may tolerate them, even ``respect'' them (I use scare quotes because I really don't know what respecting a thought or belief actually means), but we do not have to provide an avenue for them: We are, of course, free to do so, but we are under no obligation to do so.

Now, back to our usual philosophical wrangling, bantering, and code solving...