On Dec 16, 2005, at 9:04 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

I'm considering moving a bunch of .wav files to mp3 and playing them on a Windows box via a player object. Scanning through the archives seems to indicate that there can be a problem with MP3s on some systems that are using certain (older?) versions of WMP. Is that resolved now? My files would all be on disk, not in the stack.

Jacque,

Are you talking about playing MP3 in a player object on systems without QuickTime? If the system doesn't have QT installed the you are using MCI. Whether or not MP3 will play depends on if an MCI- compatible CODEC is installed. WMP 7.0 installs an MP3 CODEC which I believe is MCI-compatible. Version 2 of ActiveMovie supports MP3 and has a driver that MCI can use. Win 95 OSR2 included this. Based on some stuff I read you may have to manually add the ActiveMovie MCI driver to get it working though. I haven't tested this as all of my apps require QT. The above is just based off of what I have researched on the web.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia