I loved my 1959 VW micro-bus (split windscreen, etc.), and my subsequent 1969 VW Transporter/Camper Bus with the pop-top and extra canopy bed. Both died from the dreaded thrown 3rd cylinder. The 1969 transporter managed to leave a 5-metre strip of rubber as the engine ceased---quite impressive! The 1959 had been through so many engines, transmissions, and just about everything else (the body had been modified in a body-shop to make it a true ``hippie-van''-- including the wild paint job) that, at the last, it was thought preferable to let it just die a graceful death. The 1969 was subsequently used as an office on oil drill site (the gas heater, although flaky otherwise, proved a reliable heater for a stationary micro-bus) for many years...