Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Jim,

If you declare your local outside the object handlers, then it stays
persistent to that object *until* you edit the script. Editing scripts
resets all it's locals.

best,

Chipp

Chipp,

Thanks. That is what I was missing. I was also finding that when I returned to the script the old local variable retained its value from the previous run--until, as you say, the script is recompiled.

"Local" is a deceptive descriptor. It is used (as a script local) to control not only locality, but also persistence--it has both spacial and temporal implications.

I'm not faulting the docs. It's all there.

Jim