I was introduced to RunRev at the 2004 MacWorld. I spent the better part of the next 15 or so months converting a HC cgi backend to a RunRev backend -- with success. The biggest challenge was in getting Apache to produce AppleEvents.

At RunRev West in 2005, Jerry Daniels showed some programs that kept data in xml-like text files. I was in little mood for this having just spent so much time on my conversion. However, the speed was compelling. I now have 4 projects running under transcript cgi-s with no other scripting. I'm very happy with this.

One of these projects has some public stuff available: dwbrr.unl.edu/ Zoo Another, the Advanced Placement chemistry descriptive chemistry practice site, will go public in about 2 weeks. Last semester I ran my course entirely from RunRev cgi scripts, and I've just completed making the system more friendly to mulltiple users.

Several of my students are working on projects developing thin Web clients. I see us developing some Ajax stuff with transcript, too.

Developing these cgi systems is much harder than developing stacks because of the development tools. I've built a few stacks to 'test' cgi scripts, and will share these when they become more robust.

Meanwhile, many folks here have developed free and/or low cost tools that I recommend. Look at Jerry Daniels, Richard Gaskin, and Ken Ray as outstanding sources. (Daniels inspection gadget tool has saved me a couple of hours.)

For starters, the written materials developed by Jackie Gay on cgi are very, very helpful.

Overall, I'm VERY pleased with transcript cgi-s.

Dave Brooks

On Jan 8, 2006, at 2:34 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote
oops, I lied (smile) we do have PMWIKI running and that is PHP... but I don't have to touch it, other than set some values in conf files.
So, yes, I guess we are like JB: 1% php...