That subject line, or something like it, was a quote from Dan Shafer, and I couldn't help thinking about it this morning.

I wrote and use my own address book app (because I needed to handle some unusual synchronization needs). It works fine, but it did lack an "incremental search" feature - finally decided today it was time to implement it.

Took 5 minutes, and 4 lines of code to get a decent implementation.

And another 2 minutes and another 4 lines of code to get a "good" implementation.

(It isn't yet a "great" feature - and I don't know if I'll get around to doing that, because I suspect it will be a lot more work. And I'd be doing it for the satisfaction of making it a great feature, not for the sake of the benefits it would bring.)

[Apologies to Runtime Rev Support, who may have wondered why I sent this email to them yesterday.]