Dave,
The location of "then" is mostly personal preference. To me, this is more logical, consistent and easier to read:

if....then... (for short statement, short response)

if (long statement)
then (long response)

if
then
(lots of responses)
end if

if
then
1
2
3
else
1
2
end if

if
then
     if
     then
     else
     end if
else
     if
     then
     else
          if
          then
          end if
     end if
end if

No matter how many subconditionals there are, it is easy to see which statements and responses go together.
Paul Looney

PS I hope that last example came over alright. Kind of meaningless if it is all flush left. If it got garbled, just paste it into a script and the script editor will align it properly.