Judy Perry wrote:
> ...we used to use Pascal as our intro to programming course
> language because it was developed as a teaching language.
> Now we use C++ -- why?  Because we think it's a better teaching
> tool of basic programming concepts?  No.  Because we've somehow
> been convinced that in a 100-level, intro to programming course,
> it is more important to teach the students a "real" programming
> language rather than choose a language that is best
> suited to teaching programming concepts _in general_.

Frightening. So the students learn to type in C++ but not understand what they're typing?

I'll bet the same administrators go to conferences with furrowed brows and much hand-wringing trying to determine the cause of America's intellectual decline, never understanding their own role in the process....

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal