Stephen and Trevor,

This is a long-standing complaint of mine about custom properties in MC/RR (please see the archives), which has usually received at best irrelevant responses, if any at all (the most common response). IMHO, for consistency, *all* custom properties should be quoted (when the literal is meant), or taken as the value of the unquoted term when not. So,

put "mary" into fred
set the fred of this stack to x
-- means set the property "mary" of this stack to the value of x
-- and works just this way in MC/RR, which is as it should be.
-- But only
-- if fred does not already exist as a custom property.
-- However, I now ask you what would you predict should happen if
-- 1. fred already exists as a custom property and fred (the variable)
--    has the value ``mary''? (i.e., add this line before the other two:
--    set the fred of this stack to "fred"
-- 2. fred already exists as a custom property, but fred (the variable)
-- does not exist? Exists, but is empty? Exists, but evaluates to "Jane"?
-- Try them: you may (should) be surprised.

The only other consistent alternative, so that unquoted property names behave consistently, is to deny the use of variables as property names in custom property statements, as function and procedure names are currently handled---not an option I would support, btw.