If he will forgive the horrible pun, Dave really knows how to cope! Works great!
Thanks very much indeed, Dave. You have saved my bacon.

Best,
Bob

Dave Cope wrote:

Bob Warren wrote:

I now have an explanation as to why the shell in (Ubuntu) Linux seems to work sometimes, but not others: the HD path to the executable for launching MUST NOT CONTAIN BLANKS!

For example, this works like a charm:

  global myVar
  put "/home/bob/Desktop/folderwithnospaces/myprog" into myVar
  set the defaultFolder to "/home/bob/Desktop/folderwithnospaces"
  get shell(myVar)

This doesn't work at all:

  global myVar
  put "/home/bob/Desktop/folder with spaces/yourprog" into myVar
  set the defaultFolder to "/home/bob/Desktop/folder with spaces"
  get shell(myVar)

Exactly the same thing applies to the LAUNCH command.

Now what do I do?
Any ideas anyone?

Bob

Hi Bob,

This is a guess as I've not got Rev on Linux, but I do use Unix/GNU Linux in general. When specifying spaces on the command line, they need to be escaped.

For example: ls folder with spaces/
becomes: ls folder\ with\ spaces/

So the same might be true for Rev: put "/home/bob/Desktop/folder\ with\ spaces/yourprog" into myVar

Hope this helps