On Feb 27, 2006, at 2:06 PM, Dick Kriesel wrote:

As I discussed with Mark, the problem with storing long ids is that they can
be brittle.  A stored long id becomes invalid when a developer moves a
control to a different group.

At least for the purposes of HOOT, the long id is only stored for the length of the call, so it shouldn't be a problem. The path to the class groups is only initialized each time the library is enabled, so that could cause a problem if that stack were moved I suppose.