Jim Ault wrote:

---------------
Another approach would have an advantage or two.
ONE - using a web address like http://website.com would not use the colon as
a delimiter, since the 'split' command only considers the first occurance
TWO - if any glitches occurred that added spurious lines that did not match
an existing field, these would be ignored. (eg. tab, space)
THREE - if your labels have a leading/trailing space this will get cleaned
off
FOUR -- filter rawData without empty

NOTE: I would recommend that you not use "/" in your field label (eg.
Principal/Director)  can lead to problems later with scripting.

repeat
  put url ("file:/Path/To/Your/File.txt") into rawData
    filter rawData without empty
    split rawData using cr and ":"
Jim, you can't do that (at least, not if I interpreted Liam's email correctly). I'm pretty sure he is saying that the file contains multiple "entries", each entry consisting of the multiple "fields". If you had a single entry, then this 'split'-based technique is the one I'd use - but it can't be used while there are multiple entries .... you'd finish up with an array element for each field name, containing the data for the last entry.

You could keep the outer loop from Devin's code, to create tCurrRecord, and then split tCurrRecord